Monday, March 3, 2008

The Life and Times of Admiral -- March '08



Admiral is about 1 and a half years old now. We do love him tons. I didn't grow up with pets. Mom and Dad always gave us the "we will be the ones to have to take care of it" speech and they were probably right. I never knew HOW MUCH I would love a dog. He truly is part of the family. He spends most of the time that we are home inside with us and when we are gone, he is outside in the back yard. He seems very "at home" back there and has his little house on the patio. His "house" is a large wire crate covered in a tarp... really classy but it works really well to provide him extra shade in the summer and extra warmth in the winter. But don't feel bad for him living in sort of ghetto quarters--he does have high end carpet lining the floor of the crate (left over scraps from our new carpet). Spoiled.

Sunday Ryan fertilized our yard. Admiral was in the house with me so I opened the blinds. He sat and watched Ryan work in the back yard. Too cute!




In other news, Admiral is what we call "overweight". About 4 months ago, he weighed in at 115 lbs. The vet said he should be closer to 100 and to cut his food by 1/5. A month later, we took him back in and he had gained 1lb. Nice. So the vet told us to futher cut his food by 1 cup. We did this for 3 months and took him in today. He now weighs 115lbs. Right, he lost that 1lb he had gained 3 months ago. Very frustrating. Our vet told us they would do blood work to check for thyroid problems but he was not there today. The vet we saw told us to try a weight management food but I am skeptical that it will work. Updates to follow.

1 comment:

Lawfrog said...

I know what you mean about loving Admiral. I feel the same about Peanut. I just didn't know I could feel this way about a dog ever. She really is more like my baby than a dog:)