Friday, September 12, 2008

Ike: Friday Noon

It's starting to get cloudy here. Definitely not the bright blue sky from this morning. And the tree's are blowing a little. I know that probably only 10 people read my blog, but Mom has sent it to her sisters so I figure I will keep everyone updated to the activity (or lack of) as long as I can.
The water in places along the coast is already getting really high. Here is a picture from the Houston Chronicle of Surfside Beach.The water is waist high and Ike is still close to 200 miles away. This is not good. SciGuy gives a pretty ominous message about the impending storm surge in his 10am update:

If you live east of San Luis Pass and less than 20 feet above sea level, God help you at this point if you have not evacuated.
This map shows some of the areas I have mentioned. We live at the very top of the screen, there is a green arrow that barely shows in this small view (click for bigger). The yellow highlighed areas on the coast are (starting from the furthest south/west) Surfide Beach, Jamaica Beach, Bolivar Peninsula.

The way I understand things from watching the news and reading about this storm, Galveston and the rest of the SE Texas Coast is facing down the same sort of damage caused by Katrina's surge in Mississippi.

No comments: