Friday, September 12, 2008

Ike: Friday 4pm

The 4pm model looks just about the same. I think the target is set and Galveston's likelihood of being spared as it was by Rita is getting slimmer and slimmer. There might be a slight shift to the south/west which does nothing positive for Houston or Galveston.

Everything here at home is about the same. The clouds are getting heavier. SciGuy said in his 2pm chat that the east side of 45 will likely get the worst wind. This is good news for us I guess, but not good for several of our friends that live on the east side of 45.
I have been talking with my friend Suzie today, her family has a house in Sea Isle. She is really sad and fearful and I worry with her. Please keep Suz's family in your prayers, along with the families of our friends Steve and Ashley (Jamaica Beach), and one of Ryan's close friends Ben. All 3 homes are definitely in danger.

Ben's family has a house on Bolivar Peninsula. Here is a shot from the Chronicle of Bolivar. The water is already getting high and again, its only 4pm. Ike is 130 miles out from Galveston.
This picture from the Chronicle only says its from Galveston Island. It looks to be on the west end of the Island somewhere. Two hard sights. Obviously the fire, and then the water. There is no beach, these houses now look like they are in the ocean.Watching all this unfold brings back the memories of the pictures after Hurricane Ivan in Pensacola. My mom's family had just had a big family vacation at a condo on Pensacola Beach. It was the last big family trip we had with Pop before he got sick and was just the best time for all there. Only a couple of months later, Ivan hit Mobile, putting Pensacola on the dirty side. It devastated Pensacola Beach and the condo's we stayed in were completely gone. There was nothing left of the front few units, the storm surge just washed the buildings away.

It was Ivan that got me so obsessed with watching hurricanes when they come in, and my mom is even worse!!! :) It became so much more personal because I was connected. And Katrina, too, fueled my awareness and interest of these storms. With Katrina, I just sat in my air conditioned apartment in Houston and cried because I felt so guilty and so helpless, seeing my home state suffer so much with damage so far inland.

All we can do is pray and hope the best for those with homes in Ike's path.

No comments: