Thursday, January 29, 2009

Slab Pour

Today was the big day. The slab was poured and now we can start preparing for the walls. I guess I am always looking forward to what's next.

Ryan has woken up to be at 6am slab pours many times. I, on the other hand, have never joined him. I always said I would one day but I think it was always going to take some extra motivation to get me up and going for that.

It was COLD this morning... 25 degree's cold at our new house. We arrived a little after 6 and the crews were there, just waiting for the concrete. We think the trucks got a little lost but they finally made it. The waiting crew built a fire that I greatly appreciated once they got to work! Before 7am the concrete was flowing from the pumper and the action began.

It was interesting to watch these guys work.  Everyone had their job.  One guy guided the pumper hose around the form, telling the pump operator where to go, when to stop pumping, etc.  Other guys distributed the concrete around evenly while some others came behind to start smoothing it out.  At first glance it seemed really disorganized but in the end, it was apparent that they knew what they were doing!


Fire and the first concrete coming in.



Starting to smooth out the garage and a view of the pumper as the sun was coming up


3rd phase of smoothing in the garage; utility room (with pipes)/downstairs guest bed/bath


Starting on the Kitchen/Great Room and then pretty much all done with pouring.

Ryan says we should be ready for framing to start mid next week.  There are some clean up steps over the next few days -- the form boards are taken down and some grading around the slab.  We might have some downtime before the framer can get to our house but hopefully not more than a week.  

3 comments:

KP said...

CONGRATS!!! great milestone, and pics....

how may cubic yards of concrete??

Sarah said...

Ryan said it was 204.

James said...

I want the concrete pumper truck!!!!
Looking good, makes me think about all the slabs I used to skate in our neighborhood.