Monday, January 19, 2009

House Construction Underway!

There is always "the question" at different phases of your life.  

Senior in High School: "Where are you going to college?"
During College: "What's your major?"
Senior Year of College/Grad School: "Do you have a job?"
Serious Relationship: "Is he/she the one?", "When are you getting married?"
Engaged: "How'd he ask?", "Can I see the ring?", "When's the wedding?", "How's the wedding planning going?"
Married: "When are you gonna have kids?"
Pregnant: "When are you due?", "What are you having?"
(I am sure there are more for future life stages, but me, nor my friends, have reached those yet)

I remember at times wanting to walk around with a sign around my neck with the answer to "the question" so I didn't have to repeat the answer.  Recently, "the question" has been "How's the house?"  All our friends, coworkers, family, etc know that we are supposed to be building a new house.  This has been in the works since late April.  The architect phase took longer than expected, then the bidding phase to finally get a solid price.  We originally thought we might start building around Thanksgiving.  Then we had some hiccups and thought before Christmas, then right after New Year's and finally we closed last week.  During all this time, we'd see people and get asked "the question". We would give the update... "Haven't started building yet, waiting on [insert architect, sub contractor, bank, etc here] so we can finally get started.  Hopefully in a couple of weeks."  I think our friends were starting to think we made the whole thing up.  Like we were the guy that keeps answering the "When are you going to propose?" question with "Next year!" and this goes on for several years.  

But finally, we get to start giving real progress.  Today was the first day of construction.  The lot was cleared!  Here are various pictures while it was happening this morning.  I went out at lunch and took a few more.  They were cleaning up and about to level the ground.  




Clearing in progress
Loading up the dump truck


View from left front toward backyardView through brush in shallow part of backyard


Standing in the drivewayStanding in the street in front of driveway

View of pond from driveway

In addition to the clearing, Ryan showed me that we got our water meter installed.  He made fun of me for taking a picture, but I am documenting everything I can.  
The form for the slab will start Tuesday, followed by dirt work, plumbing and slab preparations. Ryan says they will probably pour the slab next Friday!  It's really happening! 

Ryan is under orders from my Mom to take pictures every day (she's tougher on him than I am) so hopefully I will have updates often.  I won't get to visit the house much Tuesday - Thursday but will definitely make trips on Mondays, Fridays and the weekend!  More to come!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Exciting! I look forward to my daily installment of pictures. Love, Mom