Saturday, December 6, 2008

It's Christmas Time in The Woodlands!

The house is finally all decorated for Christmas... inside and out. This will likely be our last Christmas at this house so we made sure to go all out!

Ryan bought our house before we were married but we both really wanted to put up lights outside. We didn't want to spend the money to buy it all at once, so each year we add a little more. The first year was just lights in a few bushes, then the snowman, then the icicles, then the candy canes, etc. This year we have the most lights we have ever put up. It looks pretty good if I say so myself. We think we deserve the award for our neighborhoods Best House but I think we are too classic to win that's what I tell myself because, obvioulsy, our house is the best!!! :)





Last year we bought a BIG artificial tree. My number 1 advice for buying artificial trees is to MEASURE. The reason is that, when buying a tree from a big store like Walmart or Garden Ridge, even the biggest trees look small. My number 2 advice is don't believe your husband when he says your ceilings are 10 feet tall... they are not, they are only 9. So, as you can guess, our tree is big. It is 9ft tall, so it touches the ceiling. It is so large that it won't fit anywhere in our house, other than the breakfast room. So, to the garage goes the table and chairs and into the breakfast room goes the tree.

Our tree already had some white lights on it but it was just not enough for my taste. I like colored lights too so I added several strands. I took care to string the tree in sections so that it could be taken apart with the lights on. This worked well as this year, I only had one small section at the top to string the lights on. By accident, I left the second from bottom layer out of the tree. When it was time to put the third section on, I realized that it just wasn't quite right. But, after inspecting the situation, I decided that I liked it better with just three sections and now it did not touch the ceiling. I probalby should have used sections B, C and D instead of A, C and D but by the time it was all said and done, I did not want to start over.

I got the tree fully decorated today with a new star and all. My tree doesn't have a theme. Almost all of the ornaments come from a trip we took or have some meaning. Like the airstream trailer that looks just like Pop and Grammy's. Or the baking lady or the cute little boat. This is how our tree's were growing up and I like it. Mom would take us to Hallmark and each year we would pick an ornament for the family (or 2) and James and I would pick one for ourselves. We have several Snoopy and Lego ornaments for James and at least one Cheerleader for me. My favorite family ornament is the Water Skiing Santa because this just sums the Davis family up. As we decorated the tree each year, we had wonderful memories of the events that related to the various ornaments.

And this is exactly what happened this year. I thought of our wedding and first Chrismas, the day we brought Admiral home, our first (and not our last) boat, my hours in the kitchen baking away, our love of Texas (yes, it's getting in my blood), our trip to NYC and the one to Philly, the countless hours we spent at the SAE and Chi O houses at Millsaps. For many years to come, we will look back on these ornaments and remember our early years together. And I hope to continue the ornament tradition with my children.














Happy Holidays!

2 comments:

Dana said...

lmao at your ginormous tree! looks pretty!

we did that with an armoire for the bedroom. looked small in the store, not so much at home. knocked a damn wall out to fit that sucker in the bedroom! we're smrt.

Ashley Snyder said...

Beautiful tree! Merry Christmas. I loved your card.